Please note: Adult Learning Services are no longer open to the public, in line with advice from the government/public health about social distancing. If you require information or advice about adult learning, please check the adult education advice service page on how to contact our advisors.
Receive a text alert
Please enter your mobile number below if you would like to receive a text when the ESOL advice sessions start again.
Improve your English
Hackney Learning Trust offers English (ESOL) courses for adults (19+) who speak English as a second or additional language, and would like to improve their English speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
Register for a class
Come along to a drop-in advice session. A teacher will check your level of English and help you to find a class.
The advice session has limited places so please come early. If you are unable to attend, contact us for further help.
|Hackney Learning Trust, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ||TBC||TBC|
To be eligible to join a class you must be:
- a UK/EU national or have a current visa to live in the UK and have been resident in the UK or EU for the past 3 years; or
- a refugee or asylum seeker; or
- a dependent of a UK or EU national or refugee.
Please note you do not need to be in receipt of income-based benefits to join and you must have a National Insurance Number, unless you are an asylum seeker.
- There are no advice sessions during the school holidays. Sessions run from the second week of September until the end of June. We are also closed from the second week of December until the second week of January
- You must have a ticket to be seen. You can collect your ticket at ground floor reception
- Classes run across Hackney. The location of your class will depend will depend on your level and other needs. Classes run in the morning and afternoons and are from Entry Level 1 (E1) to Level 1 (L1). There is also an Entry 1 evening option
- Some courses are accredited
- Some courses offer crèche for babies
- If you register for an ESOL class after October half term you will normally be placed on a waiting list until February, subject to spaces
- If you register for an ESOL class after the Easter holiday in April, you will normally be placed on a waiting list until September, subject to spaces