English classes for adults
Hackney Learning Trust offers ESOL and literacy courses to adults (19+) who would like to improve their English speaking and listening and/or reading and writing skills.
- ESOL classes are for people who are learning English as a second or additional language
- Literacy classes are for people with fluent spoken English who would like to improve their reading and writing
To be eligible to join a class you must be:
- a UK/EU national or have a current visa to live in the UK and have been resident in the UK or EU for the past 3 years; or
- a refugee or asylum seeker; or
- a dependent of a UK or EU national or refugee.
Please note you do not need to be in receipt of income-based benefits to join and you must have a National Insurance Number, unless you are an asylum seeker.
Register for a class
You can register for a free class by coming to one of the drop-in advice sessions listed below. A teacher will check your level of English and help you to find the right class.
There are limited places at each session, so please come early.
|1. Hackney Learning Trust, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ||Weekly||Tuesdays, 1pm|
|2. Pembury Community Centre, Block A, Atkins Square, Dalston Lane, E8 1HL||Weekly||Tuesdays, 6pm|
- You must have an ESOL and literacy ticket to be seen. You can collect your ticket at ground floor reception
- There are no advice sessions during the school holidays
- If you need a literacy course and are unable to register at an advice session, please ring 020 8820 7043 and leave a message with your name, contact number and the word 'literacy'. Someone will be in touch about an appointment
- If you register for an ESOL class after October half term you will normally be placed on a waiting list until February, subject to spaces
- If you register for an ESOL class after the Easter holiday in April, you will normally be placed on a waiting list until September, subject to spaces